This dress appeared on last may’s Burda magazine and as it is really my style i dug straight in.
I chose a piece of cloth from my stash, a mint green seersucker cotton with white polka dots that originally came from my grandmother, so i suppose it is vintage. It is a really really lovely light piece of cotton, but there was not much of it. The instructions call for lining in the top half of the same material, but i did not have enough, so I went with an even lighter plain white cotton. This created a problem, as the seersucker is slightly elastic and the cotton lining is definitely not.
Fudging ensured. And when fudging starts modifications follow and projects become UFO, so i did not finish*till last week, then the weather was too bad to do a decent photo.
Wile i was working with my mother in the shop i spotted a lovely piece of ribbon that reminded me of Pan di Stelle biscuits. Ummm, goody.
I added it on the sleeves and that went well. I added it to the breast gap, as being a big girl, the original dress was a bit too revealing. I tried sewing it directly to the waist but that was a mistake as the seersucker stretched. Had to undo and opted for a belt.
I hemmed the skirt 2 inches high than i would usually do, and let the underskirt hang down. As i was having stretching problems there too i used double-sided iron on stiffening to keep the ribbon in it place before sewing. This had the added advantage of giving some body to the hem. Yes, i also pleated the underskirt twice, cause i like it like that.
So now i look like a Disney princess, and i totally love it.
*still matching missing belt.